Megyn Kelly finalizing $30M exit from NBC


Megyn Kelly is close to finalizing a $30 million exit from NBC, sources confirm to Page Six.

The embattled anchor, who celebrated her 48th birthday Sunday, was dumped from her 9 a.m. slot on “Today” last month after questioning why it was racist to wear blackface for Halloween.

And as she prepares to sign her exit deal, the mom of three is already planning her return to TV, Page Six has learned.

Sources say NBC owner Comcast will pay Kelly around $30 million. She signed a $69 million deal when she joined the network after leaving Fox News in 2017.

A source familiar with the negotiations said nothing will happen until next week at the earliest, admitting: “It’s taking slightly longer than expected, the paperwork is going back and forth.”

Another confirmed: “Everyone wants this to be over — both Megyn and NBC — and Comcast has the money to pay off Megyn. We thought this would be a done deal a few weeks ago.”

One senior TV source added: “NBC decided rather than fight and face a lawsuit from her, they — and more importantly, Comcast with all its money — decided to draw a line under the entire debacle and pay Megyn the full amount owed in her contract to go away.

“But this is far from the end of her TV career — in the Trump era, there are few broadcasters like her. Megyn would likely take a short break from TV and return to cable news ahead of the 2020 election.”

When Kelly — whose 9 a.m. hour had failed to win over viewers — made her comments, the backlash was immediate, with “Today” mainstay Al Roker lashing out at his colleague on air.

He said: “The fact is, while she apologized to the staff, she owes a bigger apology to folks of color around the country.

“This is a history going back to the 1830s — minstrel shows to demean and denigrate a race wasn’t right. I’m old enough to know, have lived through ‘Amos ‘n’ Andy,’ where you had white people in blackface playing two black characters, just magnifying the worst stereotypes about black people — and that’s what the problem is. That’s what the issue is.”

Reps for Kelly and NBC declined to comment.



Source link

Amitabh Bachchan got the Sayaji Ratna Award


इस सम्मान की शुरूआत बड़ौदा के पूर्व शासक सयाजीराव गायकवाड़ तृतीय की याद में की गयी

रतन टाटा और नारायण मूर्ती के बाद, अमिताभ बच्चन को मिला सयाजी रत्न सम्मान

तीसरी बाद दिया गया है सम्मान, (फाइल फोटो)





Source link

He Brags About Raping Teen As She Was Dying. His Sentence: 34 Months


Brian Varela went to play video games and went to sleep after Alyssa Noceda overdosed.

The teenager lying in Brian Varela’s bed had snorted “a fat line” of crushed Percocet. She seemed “really out of it” while Varela was having sex with her, he later told police, tilting his head and rolling his eyes to the back of his head to show detectives what he meant by “really out of it.”

Afterward, she snorted more Percocet, and then Varela gave the girl a hit of highly concentrated THC, according to a probable cause affidavit.

She collapsed within seconds and never woke up. Varela grabbed his cellphone and Googled “what to do if someone overdoses on perks.” The top search results told him to call 911, but Varela did no such thing; instead, he took pictures of the 18-year-old lying unconscious and half-naked in his bed, barely breathing.

He sent the photos to his friends in a group chat and bragged that he had sex with her, court records say.

“She looks dead,” one friend said.

“Bro you killed her,” the same friend said moments later.

Varela went on to play video games and then fell asleep.

He woke up the next morning to find foam coming out of the girl’s mouth. Blood had dripped out of her nose. Her body was cold.

Varela summoned his roommate and a friend, who checked the teen’s pulse and felt nothing. Call the police, his roommate told Varela – but again, he didn’t. He got dressed, locked his room and went to work in the Seattle suburb of Lynnwood.

Alyssa Noceda died sometime between that Saturday night, Feb. 3, when she came to Varela’s trailer for a party, and the following morning. Varela admitted to a friend that he wasn’t sure whether Noceda was alive or dead while he was having sex with her, court records say.

Varela, who was 19 at that time of Noceda’s death, was charged with first-degree manslaughter, second-degree rape and unlawful disposal of remains. He was sentenced last week after a plea deal and will spend less than three years in prison ― a punishment that many, including the judge presiding over the case, saw as far too lenient.

Even some auto theft cases had more serious penalties, Snohomish Superior Court Judge Linda Krese said during the sentencing hearing. But, she noted, she was bound by state law to keep the punishment to 34 months – the maximum allowed under the circumstances for someone without a criminal record.

Krese said she was “surprised, even outraged.”

“I’m not sure the Legislature really contemplated something like this,” the judge said of Washington state’s sentencing laws, according to the Daily Herald.

A seemingly lenient sentence for a violent crime such as rape is not unheard of. Punishments are typically lessened as a result of a plea agreement or lack of criminal history. In Varela’s case, his plea deal lowered the manslaughter charge to a second-degree felony, and the rape charge to a third-degree felony.

Among the most notorious recent cases is that of Stanford University sex offender Brock Turner, whose six-month jail sentence after a sexual assault conviction prompted nationwide outrage and the recall of the judge who imposed the punishment. A jury had convicted Turner of sexually assaulting an unconscious woman outside a frat house.

Sentencing disparities are not unheard of, either, even in cases that involve similar crimes. In 2016, a Montana man who repeatedly raped his 12-year-old daughter was sentenced to 60 days in jail after pleading guilty to one count of incest. That same year, a California man who repeatedly raped his teenage daughter was sentenced to 1,503 days in prison after a jury convicted him of 186 felony charges.

Toni Montgomery, a deputy prosecutor in Varela’s case, condemned him for his “complete disregard” for Noceda’s life. But, she said, “34 months is really the only sentence that would be appropriate, given the current sentencing structure,” Montgomery said in court, the Daily Herald reported.

Montgomery did not immediately respond to a request for comment but told The New York Times that Washington state does not typically criminalize neglecting to seek medical help for someone, unless they are that person’s parent, or the person is elderly, pregnant or a child. A first-degree manslaughter charge, which along with a rape conviction would have resulted in a 10-year prison sentence for Valera, would have been difficult to prove in a trial, Montgomery said; so prosecutors chose to negotiate a plea deal, she said.

“It sort of is beyond the pale morally, when you think about it,” Montgomery told The Times. “You can sit here and watch someone die and do nothing and the law cannot hold you criminally liable.”

Paul Thompson, Varela’s attorney, also was not immediately available for comment. He told The Times that Varela was “sentenced to the high end of the crimes for which he was actually convicted.”

Standing next to his lawyer during his sentencing, wearing a striped green and white prison garb, Varela, now 20, apologized for his “foolish actions.”

“Whatever I get is what I deserve,” he told the judge.

Sitting behind him were Noceda’s friends and family members, many of whom wore black T-shirts bearing a picture of Noceda between angel’s wings.

The teen’s mother, Gina Pierson, called the punishment “a joke.”

“Usually people who do stuff like this don’t get away with a slap on the wrist,” she told KOMO News.

On Pierson’s Facebook page are several pictures and quotes about her daughter.

“Addiction is a disease, not a parenting error,” reads one quote.

On another post, she wrote: “My first LOVE..My first born …RIP Ali Mae (Alyssa Noceda) … You were too damn good for this world…”

On Feb. 5, two days after Noceda went to Varela’s trailer, her mother posted on Facebook that she had not seen or heard from her daughter since 8 p.m. on Feb. 3, court records say. At that time, her daughter’s body was still in the trailer.

On Feb. 4, after returning home from work at a Dairy Queen, Varela washed Noceda to rid her body of his DNA and put some of her clothes back on, court records show. He then placed her body in a large plastic crate he had gotten from his mother’s house, breaking her leg to fit her in the box, records say.

Two days later, Varela was arrested after a co-worker Varela had told about Noceda’s overdose contacted police. Officers found the teen’s body in the box, still inside the bedroom. Varela had planned to bury her that day, he told detectives.

Pierson and her family told reporters that they plan to challenge the state’s sentencing laws.

“I’ll just keep thinking I’ll never see her again,” she told ABC affiliate KOMO.
 

(Except for the headline, this story has not been edited by NDTV staff and is published from a syndicated feed.)





Source link

When And Where To Watch Live Telecast, Live Streaming


When is the 1st T20I between India and Australia?

The 1st T20I between India and Australia will be played on November 21, 2018.

Where will the 1st T20I between India and Australia be played?

The 1st T20I between India and Australia will be played at the Gabba in Brisbane

What time does the 1st T20I between India and Australia begin?

The 1st T20I between India and Australia will begin at 13:20 hrs IST.

Which TV channels will broadcast the 1st T20 between India and Australia?

The 1st T20I between India and Australia will be telecast on the Sony Pictures Network.

How do I watch the live streaming of the 1st T20I between India and Australia?

The live streaming of the 1st T20I between India and Australia will be available on Sonyliv. You can also catch the live updates on sports.ndtv.com.

(All telecast and streaming timings are as per information received from the host broadcasters)



Source link

Seoul will dissolve Japan-funded sexual slavery foundation


South Korea said Wednesday it will dissolve a foundation funded by Japan to compensate South Korean women who were forced to work in Japan’s World War II military brothels.

The widely expected decision effectively kills a controversial 2015 agreement to settle a decades-long impasse over the sexual slavery issue and threatens to aggravate a bitter diplomatic feud between the Asian U.S. allies over history.

Seoul’s Ministry of Gender Equality and Family said in a statement that it will take legal steps to dissolve the foundation. Lee Nam-hoon, an official from the gender equality ministry, said Seoul’s Foreign Ministry plans to consult with Tokyo on what to do with the 1 billion yen ($8.8 million) Japan funded to the foundation that was formally launched in July 2016.

“After considering gathering diverse opinions over the ‘Reconciliation and Healing Foundation’ based on victim-centric principles, we have decided to push for the dissolution of the foundation,” Gender Equality Minister Jin Sun Mee said in a statement. She said the ministry will continue to push policies to “restore the honor and dignity” of the sexual slavery victims.

Historians say tens of thousands of women from around Asia, many of them Korean, were sent to front-line military brothels to provide sex to Japanese soldiers.

Liberal South Korean President Moon Jae-in, who has been a harsh critic of the 2015 deal reached under his conservative predecessor, told Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe during a meeting in September that the foundation was failing to function properly because of strong opposition by the victims and public.

South Korea and Japan are already at odds over a ruling by Seoul’s Supreme Court last month that a major Japanese steelmaker should compensate four South Koreans for forced labor during Japan’s colonial rule of the Korean Peninsula before the end of World War II. Abe said Tokyo will respond “resolutely” to the ruling, which he described as a violation of a 1965 treaty between Seoul and Tokyo that restored diplomatic ties and was accompanied by more than $800 million in economic aid and loans from Tokyo to Seoul.

At the time of the sex slave deal, Seoul said there were 46 surviving South Korean victims. But 19 of them since died. Twelve victims who rejected payment from the foundation sued the Seoul government over the deal in August 2016, saying it didn’t go far enough to establish Japan’s responsibility.

Lee, the ministry official, said the foundation had used 4.4 billion won ($3.8 million) in cash payments to 34 victims who were alive at the time of the 2015 deal and to relatives of 58 victims who were dead by then. Only 27 of the 240 South Korean women who registered with the government as victims of Japan’s wartime sexual slavery are currently alive, Lee said.

Many in South Korea believed the Seoul government settled for far too less in the sex slave deal and that Japan still hasn’t acknowledged legal responsibility for atrocities during its colonial occupation of the Korean Peninsula from 1910 to 1945.

Under the 2015 agreement, which was then described by both governments as “irreversible,” Japan pledged to fund the foundation to help support the victims. However, Japan said it didn’t consider the 1 billion yen it provided to the fund as compensation, saying such issues were settled in a 1965 treaty. South Korea, in exchange, vowed to refrain from criticizing Japan over the issue and will try to resolve a Japanese grievance over a statue of a girl representing victims of sexual slavery that sits in front of the Japanese Embassy in downtown Seoul.



Source link